funny pictures
sexy videos
free webcams




E R N I E ' S   H O U S E   O F   W H O O P A S S

GO HOME BALL  -   articles - search - features - pictures - videos - tasteless - tits  -   WEBCAMS

jealous? click here to get your website on for as little as $5 per day


April 2003. Let Me Tell You About A Man Named Paul

Whether or not you agreed with the war on Iraq and/or the events that led up to that war, one quality has always remained unwavering within us the American public; we support our troops. And support we did. We cheered and held rallies, awarded medals, and let them all bask in the well deserved spotlight of heroism. We even spent extra effort reassuring our POW's know they were never far from our thoughts during their captivity, and afford them untold honors and unimaginable attention we usually reserve for (much less deserving, I might add) our favorite Hollywood stars and world class athletes. In addition to having her name a household world, Jessica Lynch has had offers to host popular television shows and has two full scholarships waiting for her when she finally makes it through her grueling rehabilitation.

And not to say any of these people are undeserving of this doting, but what may I ask, about our soldiers who didn't make it home? What about their families? Or even more specifically, what about the children who will have to grow up without a parent, who won't have a father watch them graduate elementary school, or build them a lemonade stand, or a mother reassure them before taking a drivers test? What about the widowed spouse who will look upon their next wedding anniversary with dread instead of joy? Who supports and holds these people up?

You do. So let me tell you a story about a man named Paul.

Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith, age 33, Bravo Company, 11th Engineer Battalion of the 3rd Infantry Division, died heroically leading his squad in battle on Friday, April 4, 2003, in Baghdad, Iraq, during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Events that have gotten him nominated for the Medal of Honor.

October 23, 2003: In today's world, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that one man can make a difference. Paul Ray Smith is on the way to becoming the first serviceman to receive the Medal of Honor since MSG Gary Gordon and SFC Randall Shughart fought their last battle in Mogadishu on October 3, 1993.

During Operation Iraqi Freedom, SFC (Sergeant First Class) Smith was a platoon sergeant/acting platoon leader in the 1st Brigade's B Company, 11th Engineer Battalion attached to the 2-7 Task Force. Bravo Company was in contact with Saddam's forces nearly every day during the second phase of the campaign. After a pause below As Samawah and Karbala, the drive on Baghdad from the south carried the 2-7th into Saddam International Airport.

On the morning of April 4, the Task Force was inside of the airport and several enemy soldiers had been captured, so a containment pen had be to quickly built. There was a wall 10 ft tall paralleling the north side of the highway, on the battalion's flank just behind the front lines. Smith (whose callsign was 'Sapper 7') decided to punch a hole in it, so that the inside walls would form two sides of a triangular enclosure and the open third side could be closed off with rolls of concertina wire.

Smith used an armored combat earthmover to punch through the wall and, while wire was being laid across the corner, one of the squad's two M113s moved toward a gate on the far side of the courtyard. The driver pushed open the gate to open a field of fire, revealing between 50 and 100 enemy soldiers massed to attack. The only way out was the hole the engineers had put in the wall and the gate where the hardcore Iraqis were firing.

What happened next was equal to Audie Murphy's legendary World War II heroism. Iraqi soldiers perched in trees and a nearby tower let loose with a barrage of RPGs and there were snipers on the roof. A mortar round hit the engineers' M-113, seriously wounding three soldiers inside. Smith helped evacuate them to an aid station, which was threatened by the attack as well.

Smith promptly organized the engineers' defense, since the only thing that stood between the Iraqis and the Task Force's headquarters were about 15 to 20 engineers, mortarmen and medics. A second M113 was hit by an RPG, but was still operational. Dozens of Iraqi soldiers were charging from the gate or scaling a section of the wall, jumping into the courtyard.

Smith took over the second APC's .50-caliber machine gun and got the vehicle into a position where he could stop the Iraqis. First Sergeant Tim Campbell realized that they had to knock out the Iraqi position in the tower and after consulting with Smith, led two soldiers to take the tower. Armed only with a light machine-gun, a rifle and a pistol with one magazine, the trio advanced behind the smoke of tall grass that had caught fire from exploding ammunition.

Smith yelled for more ammunition three times during the fight, going through 400 rounds before he was hit in the head. Shortly before taking the tower and gunning down the Iraqis inside, Campbell noticed that the sound of Smith's .50-caliber had also stopped. Campbell figured Smith was just reloading again.

The medics worked on SFC Smith for 30 minutes, but he was dead.

According to the citation, his actions killed 20 to 50 Iraqis, allowing the American wounded to be evacuated, saving the aid station and headquarters (as well as possibly 100 American lives). Fellow soldiers credit Smith with thwarting the advance of well-trained, well-equipped soldiers from the Special Republican Guard, which was headed straight for the 2-7 Task Force's headquarters (Tactical Operations Center), less than a half-mile away. The battle captains, commanders and journalists huddled at the operations center were trying to protect themselves against tank fire and snipers in the nearby woods. They had no idea about the possible onslaught of Republican Guard from the nearby complex.

this article originally posted on

Personal letter from President Bush    supersized
Presidential certificate accompanying burial flag    supersized

Personal note from Senator Miller    supersized
Personal note from Senator Nelson    supersized

Handwritten note from Congressman Bilirakis    supersized
Handsigned note from Governor Bush    supersized

one of the last photos of Paul alive, goofing around on a captured Iraqi motorcycle

Insert Your Favorite Weekend Joke Here....

Insert Your Favorite Weekend Joke Here....

Insert Your Favorite Weekend Joke Here....

Insert Your Favorite Weekend Joke Here....

Insert Your Favorite Weekend Joke Here....

... more ...


all other materials are property of their respective owners!